Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Series of Moments


A good friend once made the comment to me that, "Life is a series of moments." I always think of this friend and what he said to me whenever I have one of those tiny moments in life that somehow manage to burn a place in our souls and our memories. To quote the musical Nine, "Maybe it lasted a day, maybe it lasted an hour. But, somehow it will never end." These moments come back to us at the most unexpected times, and their memories can be triggered by any of the senses...a particular smell, a certain song....

Not all these moments are good, and subsquently neither are the memories. However, I've found that I wouldn't trade any of them for the world. Please indulge me while I share a few of these moments. :)

* One summer...I think I was about to turn 18, I went to Galveston with my entire family for the Fourth of July. One night, my sister-in-law and I decided that we wanted to go sing Karaoke. First, we had to find a place that would let me, a minor, in the door. Then we had to convince them that I wouldn't try to consume alcohol on the premises. Anyway, once we finally found a place, we squeezed in at one of the packed picnic-style tables and started thumbing through the song catalog.

Sitting across the table from us happened to be a group of people a few years older than I was. One of these people happened to be a very attractive guy. Somehow he started talking to us, and it turned out he was a doctor. Cristal (my sis-in-law) kept telling me I should ask him to dance, but I was way too nervous, and in my opinion, way too young.

Later on that night, the Moment happened. I heard the opening bars to "Faithfully" begin to play, and a guy who must have been channeling Steve Perry began to sing. Something came over me. I turned to the guy and said, "I love this song so much. Will you come dance with me to it?" Miraculously, he agreed and led me to the dance floor in this dark and seedy bar in Galveston. He pulled me close and put his face next to mine. He smelled amazing. I closed my eyes and we didn't even speak the entire time.

Now, every time I hear "Faithfully" by Journey, I remember this moment. How fleeting it was, but it has stayed with me all this time.

* Right after I found out the Awful Truth about what I had gotten myself into online (see Cyber-Magnetism stories in the archives), I got a call from my buddy Aaron in Stephenville. We chatted for a bit, then suddenly I needed to see him. I had the next few days off from waiting tables, so I packed a light bag, gassed up the Altima, and started driving south.

Aaron welcomed me with open arms, and, over dinner that night I told him the whole story. Aaron and I had been friends for a long time, ever since I'd dated his brother actually (haha...his brother was my first boyfriend...story to come later). I saw my pain reflected in his eyes as I told the story, and he squeezed my hand whenever my voice would break.

Aaron took care of me that weekend, and it was just what I needed to relax. On my last night there, I was getting into bed, and he came into the room. When I was all tucked in, he gave me a hug and said, "You know I love you Mandy-Mandy (yes I know I used my name...but to me, it's important to the story and most of you will forget anyway)." I looked up into his eyes and we kissed...for the first time ever.

I know some of it was based on attraction, because we talked about it later over a few more kisses...but this one was so wonderful because it was filled with the comfort and love of a true friend.

More moments to come later....please feel free to share your moments with me, either via comment or your own blog site. :)

~Frecklehead

1 Comments:

Blogger geewits said...

Life IS a series of moments. I like that. I just wanted to say you remind me of my daughter. She started out with the Richardson Children's Theater and was in theater at Richland High School. She's 21 and you guys would definitely pass as sisters. We are redheads too. Keep on typing.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home