If Music Be the Food of Love...Sing On

I think everyone has their own specific hobby or pasttime that makes them feel happy and fulfilled...or at least I hope so. I am one of the fortunate ones. I have several things in my life that make me happy while pursuing, and one of these hobbies happens to be singing and musical theatre.
People who listen to or sing "Show Tunes" have a certain stigma attached to them. We're usually seen or referred to as the 'weirdo' type that can't go a day without wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the latest Andrew Lloyd Weber extravaganza, the type that hangs around with (or is one) only flaming homosexual men. You know the stigma...you've probably made fun of it before. Hell, I've made fun of it before.
But when I get really serious about what I love to do...there is nothing that compares to it on earth. I started thinking about this just today when I was listening to my Yahoo LaunchCast radio station. I can pick and choose what styles and genres it plays, so that I usually get a pretty good selection of music. One of these styles/genres is the "Show Tunes" genre. And, out of all the songs and all the beautiful music that my station plays, I only really ever get chills to the beautiful music and lyrics of the theatre productions.
Want an example? Here are some songs today that made my already chilly arms break out into goosebumps, and why:
"Waitin' For the Light to Shine" from Big River ~ This song has a specific memory attached to it, if you'll remember from previous posts concerning the Showmance Saga. But the words are so incredibly touching and beautiful, in or out of the context of the show...
Far beyond horizons I have seen,
Beyond the things I've said
Beyond the dreams I've dreamed
Are the things I've done -
In fact, each and every one
Are the way that I was taught to run.
I am waitin' for the light to shine,
I am waitin' for the light to shine.
I have lived in the darkness for so long...
I am waitin' for the light to shine.
"Goodbye, Old Girl" from Damn Yankees ~ This song also has a specific memory attached, because I did this show. Dewey played Young Joe and his father, Roger (an incredibly wonderful man), played Old Joe. This particular song occurs at the point in the musical where Mr. Applegate transforms Old Joe into the younger version of himself. The staging of our particular production was incredible at this point, and when Dewey burst out of the scenery singing, I got chills every time...coupled with the tears obtained while Roger sang the quieter and more gentle beginning. *Fabulous*
"Seasons of Love" from Rent ~ I don't think I even need to mention why this song is beautiful. The story of Rent and the story behind Rent are so amazing, and the power attached to these words is incredible, both in and out of the context of the story.
How do you measure the life
Of a woman or a man?
In truths that she learned,
Or the times that she cried?
In bridges he burned?
Or the way that he died?
It's time now for singing, for the story never ends
Let's celebrate - remember a day in the life of friends..
"In His Eyes" from Jekyll and Hyde ~ My mother has, for as long as I've been doing theater, always given me some form of reprimand or another for "wasting my time" when I "could be working and making money." However, one day while in rehearsals for this show, I asked her to listen to the recording of this duet on my CD. She heard the first verse and said, "Why does this music always make me want to cry?" In that moment, she understood why I do this. This song is so incredibly beautiful and touching that it's damn near impossible to sing.
By looking in his eyes, will I see beyond tomorrow?
By looking in his eyes, will I see beyond the sorrow that I feel?
Will his eyes reveal to me promises or lies?
But, he can't conceal from me the love in his eyes..
I know their every look
His eyes, they're like an open book, his eyes
And most of all, the look that hypnotized me
If I'm wise, I will walk away...and gladly
But, sadly I'm not wise
It's hard to talk away the memories that you prize.
Love is worth forgiving for,
Now I realize
Everything worth living for is there
In his eyes.
I could go on and on for days and days...
I am blessed enough to have been given the opportunity and the privilege to have been able to perform some of these songs in some of these shows, and the experiences have all left lasting impressions on me.
I am thankful and humbled by the gift I have been given, and I'm honored to be given opportunities to give back. As a friend and mentor has said, "Your talent is your gift from God. How you use that talent is your gift back. There is magic in the theatre, and the theatre is magic. Blessed are those who create that magic."
Yes. I am blessed.

1 Comments:
Wonderful
Take Care
the other Michael
Post a Comment
<< Home