Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Birthday Retrospect


Well, yesterday turned out to be light years above and beyond what I was expecting it to be. Not that I expected a shitty birthday, but I was just not expecting much at all since this is my first time to be away from all my friends and family on my birthday.

My day started with a phone call from my dad at 6:30 am. I swear, that man...one year he forgets to call altogether then the next year he gives me a heart attack by calling so damn early. His excuse? "Well, I wanted to be the first." Well Dad...you definitely were the first.

I got to work and started doing all the stuff I usually do...then a FedEx guy came by my cube, holding a FedEx box that was covered with writing. My very best friend of almost 17 years now (holy shit, am I old enough to have had a friend for that long??), Shelly, had sent me a box of gifts directly to my office. In it included:

* A FedEx sweatshirt (which she probably got for free, haha)
* The movie "French Kiss" on DVD
* Some handmade jewelry (that she made herself)
* A gold purse that looks like the 1970s threw up on it. haha
* The funniest card in the world.

So I figured, "Well this totally makes my day!" I called her and we laughed and I told her how much I appreciated what she did. A couple of hours later my boss took me to lunch at Legal Seafood. SOOOOOO yummy. And free. ;)

When we all got back to the office there was a vase with gorgeous pink roses in it, along with a Happy Birthday balloon and a card. I walked right past the flowers, not even seeing them at first. Then Matt called back out to me, "Hey these are for you!" I was honestly surprised...I didn't know anyone knew the address of where I worked. I think Michael and Shelly were in cahoots and he got the address from her. :) Either way, they are absolutely amazing and they're still sitting right next to me here in my office.

After I got off work, I went downtown to wait for Michael to get out of his class meeting, and to kill the time, I went into the Virgin Megastore on the corner of Newbury street and bought this for myself. I am very excited for the new year to start so's I can start using it.

I finally caught up with my darling and we had dinner at this little Thai restaurant on Boylston called Chilli Duck. We have officially named this restaurant to be "our place." It's actually below the street level, and it's actually kind of hard to see at first. It's very cozy and small, and the food is amazing...and not too expensive either. We had an awesome dinner together, and it was so good to just spend some quality time together.

There was talk of some special birthday alone time when we got home...but by the time we actually GOT home, it was almost 11:30 and we were both completely exhausted. Plus, I'm still fighting this sick feeling, and I felt kind of blech by then. We'll make up for it on the weekend, I'm sure...but jesus...I was asleep before I hit the pillow, I swear.

The only thing that darkened my day yesterday was the Red Sox getting completely schooled by Contreras and the White Sox. Terry Francona needs to seriously consider taking Matt Clement out of the rotation if he's going to pull shit like that. Seriously guys, 13-2? You're better than that. Thank God Boomer is pitching tonight...these guys need to WIN.

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the wonderful happy birthday comments! It really made my day special. :) More later...perhaps even an actual blog entry...haha.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Zoom said...

Sounds like you had a great one. I can only hope mine is as fun. But three weeks seems like such a long way away.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home