As I die inside you..

Before I say anything at all, MUCHO thanks to Fred for bringing the movie "Stage Beauty" into my house on Friday night. If you haven't seen this movie (and you probably haven't, because it wasn't really advertised all over the place) I insist that you go out and rent it...no, skip the renting process...BUY this movie. Especially if you are involved in the theatre in any sense.
This is one of the best Shakespearean-era movies I have seen...ever. Shakespeare in Love can kiss my arse after this movie. It deals with the same issues, gender roles in the theatre, but it doesn't just focus on some silly love story. It focuses also on the actual art of acting, the political and social repercussions of the eventual allowance of women to play women's roles onstage. And, might I add, Billy Crudup gives one of the most spectacular performances by an actor I have ever seen. He. Is. AMAZING. Claire Danes ain't half bad herself (but I've always loved her, so I am partial). The sexual intensity and chemistry between these two onscreen in one particular scene is so hot that you almost feel guilty watching it, like you are intruding on something very intense and private. I know, I know...Billy Crudup is apparently a huge sonofabitch for leaving his pregnant girlfriend, Mary Stuart Masterson, for Claire Danes after this movie...but I don't care what the guy does in his personal life. This movie is incredible. I highly recommend it.
So. This weekend was good. Busy...but good. Could've gotten off to a shitty start, since we had to buy a new car battery for Michael's car on Saturday. Luckily, though, we had received a check that we had long since given up on from the school district, so that will help with that unexpected expense.
Friday night...what a freakin beating. The "audience" for Once Upon a Mattress was pathetic. There were less than 20 people there, and they were SO TERRIBLE. Anyone who has ever performed onstage, especially in a comedy, knows that if you don't get any energy or response from the audience, the show is really difficult to perform at high energy. Add to that the fact that I'm so freakin sick of this show, and you've got a hell of a Friday night in front of you. Luckily, there was Taco Bell after the show, and it was good. Fred came over for a sleepover and that was way fun. Pulled out the couch bed, watched Stage Beauty, stayed up till 4 am talking and sharing stories...sorry guys, no pillow fights in our baby-doll pajamas happened. We were too tired. :)
Saturday was a good day...went to my dad's for a little bit with Michael, then came home and took a nap. Another show that night...this time with a full audience who laughed even when stuff wasn't funny (read: they laughed at Director's dumbass ad libs). So that made the show less of a beating at least. Went home and showered that night, read some Harry Potter and totally CRASHED until noon on Sunday. Matinee....blah blah blah....boring. Can't EFFING believe we have another full weekend of shows. Oh, and after three weekends of performances, NOW they decide that we need a pickup rehearsal on Thursday night. I'm sorry, but neither I nor Michael will be attending. It wasn't on the original calendar that we agreed to, and we already made plans. I'm not going to show up and don costume and makeup just so Director can learn one of the knight's parts (a knight will be missing on the last show...). Maybe if said Director had spent more time paying attention and LESS time adding in stupid shit even after we opened and deciding that he himself wants to be pulled out of the bed at the end...he might know the part already. It's not that difficult. "But you'll miss getting pictures taken!" Aww....boo freakin hoo. Trust me, I will have enough memories of this experience to last a lifetime. I don't need photo reminders. :)
A couple of really good things that happened this weekend:
1.) My dad is giving me and Michael two almost brand-new bicycles to take with us to Boston! We were going to buy some when we got up there anyway, but this is even better! Very cool of him to do that.
2.) Someone might be buying my car! A girl called me yesterday whose boyfriend is coming home from Iraq and needs a car. He has $7000 in cash to spend (which is, coincidentally, exactly the asking price for my car). This could be very lucrative...however, since the Kelly Blue Book value on my car is $9,000...Michael is taking the car to CarMax today to get a quote...after he puts a tire on it for me. What a great boyfriend I have. :) So....long story short, there is a decent chance that I might actually make some money on the sale of my car. Not a GREAT chance, but a decent chance. *Fingers Crossed*
3.) I can't believe how many hits "Dear Mom" has gotten already. Not so many submissions, but people are at least checking out the site and going back! CatPants, Maribou Sue and I are working on making a real deal website out of it, so stay tuned for more information on that. (there were a lot of links in that paragraph)
4.) I graduate in 12 FREAKING DAYS! I can't believe it. Now, why I haven't I gotten more cards with money in them....?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home