Thursday, July 14, 2005

Suck it in!


Well I almost lost my corset the other night. Meaning it was almost taken away from me. Let me explain. There is nothing I hate more than divas in a show who bitch and moan about their costumes, especially when it is obvious that the costumer has been busting his/her ass to get them done in time. There has been one occasion up till now when I have been unhappy with a costume piece, and even then it was just because I didnt' like the color.

Well when I said that my costume made me look very wood-nymphy apparently I wasn't the only one who thought so. The pattern on the corset was floral, and I had flowers in my hair. So, yeah, I can understand that. Well, I get to the theatre the other night, and the costumer tells me we have to lose the corset because I look too much "like a villager." Well I made a couple of suggestions and she kept saying, well we'll just use the skirt and blouse only. Now keep in mind that the "skirt" is really a seventie's style dress that is about a foot of scruncy elastic at the top, to be worn much like the baby-doll tops made popular by Jessica Simpson recently. That stretchy elastic is one of the most unflattering things on a person who already thinks she's fat. The point of those is to draw attention to flat bodies.

So I'm kind of upset, but I keep my mouth shut because, like I said, I hate divas who bitch about costumes. So everyone gets their stuff on and I wait to go last, all the while holding back tears. There has already been so much bullshit in this show, I didn't want to feel HUGE on top of that. So I put on what's left of my costume and I'm standing with my arms outstretched in front of the mirror while the Costumer starts adding things to my skirt. Finally I just burst into tears, because I looked SO HUGE. She kept trying to tell me it looked fine, but I said "yeah but I don't FEEL good in this." She was sooooooo nice and we decided to try turning the corset inside out and using the solid-colored side. So we laced me back into it, took the flowers out of the wig and tried a beaded headband and some sparkly costume jewelry and the whole costume was transformed. I looked more like what I was supposed to. I gave her a HUGE hug and thanked her profusely for accomodating me and being so willing to make sure that I felt good and confident in my costume.

I really hate that I couldn't keep from crying, but it was just the final straw. I'd been so good about not being driven to tears at rehearsal until that point, but I had just had it. So I was happy again...until last night when the stupid A.D. yelled at ME and called ME out of everyone else for responding (along with the rest of the cast) vocally to getting screamed at by the director. What a bitch. I would like to kick her in the face. Or punch her in the wind pipe.

We actually have an "audience" tonight. Geez, it breaks my heart that people are going to pay money to see this show. Go see Jesus Christ Superstar instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home