Thursday, July 28, 2005

Rest in Peace, little buddy...


Well, Michael's mother has crossed the line I thought she might never cross. This afternoon, around 4:30 pm, she loaded up Smokey (age 13 in human years) into her Honda and took him to the vet to have him put to rest. She did this without consulting Michael and/or Jeremy, and she did it without even offering them the opportunity to say goodbye.

Granted, the little guy has had some health problems for the past couple of years. He didn't see or hear as well as he used to be able to, and he had some breathing problems. But he had a lot of spunk left in him. Every time Michael and I would show up for dinner, he would have enough energy to pounce over to where we were to say hello to us, because he knew that he could immediately lay down to rest next to us, and he knew for SURE that he would get an extra good ear-scratching . I'm really really upset with Michael's mom's selfish behavior today. I can understand that he was quite high-maintenance, but you know what? Who knows how much longer he could've lasted? And she could've AT LEAST let the boys come over and hug and kiss him goodbye before she ran off to the vet. Smokey is their childhood dog, for crying out loud.

Seeing Michael's face tonight when he told me almost broke. my. heart. I am SO glad I have this picture of the two of them at Christmas. I wish you all could've met Smokey. He was a good boy...

:(

Rest in Peace, Smokey (1992-2005)

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Wow. That is really horrible that she did that without telling Michael or Jeremy. I remember that when I was in college, I had to put my dog to sleep without my parents there and it broke my heart. But I called them, consulted with them for what seemed like hours and we ALL decided it was time.

For you, Michael and Jeremy, I suggest doing something in Smokey's honor, just as a way to say goodbye. If his mom won't include them, at least you can include each other in letting go.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I'm sorry too. We should all have the chance to say goodbye.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Same thing happened to my husband (Cocky the Cocker Spaniel) and me with my 3 cats. We could probably write a book on the times parents have put family pets to sleep without consulting children who are away at college. It just sucks.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home