Monday, June 13, 2005

Served with a side of piping hot GUILT!



Well it's Monday. I'd have to say the weekend was pretty good, except for Sunday night dinner's at Casa de Frecklehead's Mom. Let's talk about the good things first, shall we?

Friday night, as promised, Michael's mom took us to CiCi's. YUM...always a good time for the most part, except for the fact that on this particular night Jeremy came with us. The Raymond/Robert/Marie trio really is complete when Jeremy comes. Michael is the Robert, Jeremy is the Raymond. Nothing anybody says matters as long as Jeremy a.k.a. "The Baby" is there. *GAG* It makes me want to scream. Especially since, for the most part, Jeremy treats his mother like shit. Drives me crazy. I can't WAIT to not live with him anymore, but I've exhausted that topic, so I'll move on. When we got home, Michael and I went back out for a bottle of wine, and we nestled down to watch "Sideways." Now, I have heard several reviews of this movie, and not all of them were good. I LOVED this movie. I thought it was brilliant. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- it is MUCH more difficult to play real characters than it is to play caricatured roles (or extreme roles). Paul Giamatti was excellent in this movie. He played the character of quirky wine connosieur Miles to perfection. Excellent movie. As for all the critiques I heard of people saying "All they do is talk about wine, " I must say this: This movie is most appreciated by the more intelligent sector of the human race. If you are not able to pick up on all the "wine describes you and your personality" symbolism in the movie, then you deserved to be bored by this excellent film. :)

Anyway, on to the rest of my weekend. Saturday was nice. We got up late, went to IHOP for breakfast/lunch, then spent the afternoon shopping around (and only buying one thing, a French Market candle from the Sample House, where my aunt works. Then our apartment complex threw a pool party for all the residents that afternoon. I actually got a little bit of sun on my transparently white skin! Yay! That night we went to Old Navy and bought our flag shirts (5$ a pop!) early, then got a treat at Sonic. Much later that night, CatPants, the E3, and E3's brother came over for a rousing round or two of Scattergories. Fun!

Sunday we slept late again (you would too if you'd been up till 3 watching country music infomercials and playing Super Nintendo!) and just hung around the house all afternoon. I watched several episodes of America's Next Top Model on vH1. What a crock of bullshit that show is. Seriously! It pisses me off, because one of the girls on there was told that she would be great as a Plus size model. A PLUS-SIZE MODEL, people. She was about 5'8" and probably wore a size 8. That fat ass bitch, what the HELL was she thinking? Jesus, if SHE could be a plus-size model, I must be the model for "Clothes for Obesely Overweight Chicks" model. Bastards.

Sunday night was when the evening started to turn sour. We went over to my mom's house for dinner, and from the MINUTE I sat down next to Richard (my stepdad) out by the pool, he starts in on me:
"You know, you really should consider one of those $1,000 a month, 350 sq. feet brownstones in downtown Boston"
"Maybe you should just stay down here for a couple of months and send Michael money."
"Trust me sweetie, you should take your car, even though it does cost $125 a month for parking."

Then my mom:
"Has Michael found a job yet?"
"What exactly are YOU going to be doing up there?"
"I don't like it that you don't have a job secured in Boston yet."
"I have a swimsuit that might fit you. It's a size 10, WAY too big for me"

Michael had to stop me from drowning myself in the pool. Jesus, could ONE PERSON IN MY FUCKING FAMILY please be happy that I'm getting out of this area for a little bit? My entire family has been in Denton since the beginning of time, I swear. I'm so sorry that they never got out of here, but this is my opportunity. Yeah, it's gonna suck at first, and yeah, we're gonna be broke at first, but who cares?! This is OUR life, and our adventure, if you will.

Me living down here for a couple of months while Michael goes up there is NOT an option, for several reasons. 1)I couldn't not be with him; 2)his "job" is going to be going to school; 3) where the hell am I supposed to live down here? our lease is up at the end of August; 4) where am I gonna WORK for 2 months? See? it's all BULLSHIT. They expect me to fail. Some might say, "Oh they're just worried about you." Well, that's about 5% of it. The other 95% is the fact that THEY are pissed that I'm not doing what THEY would do.

And as for that apartment thing, I'll make the sacrifice of living farther away and taking a damn long train ride for at least the first year we're there, if it means that my rent is $200 cheaper and 500 square feet bigger. I'm not willing to pay the price of convenience, I'm sorry. Maybe Richard is, but Michael and I have talked this over, and that's just NOT what we want to do. I'm almost 24 years old and Michael is almost 27. We're not children anymore, much to the chagrin of our parents. Also, if they're being bitches because they don't like that we're moving far away, all they're succeeding in doing is alienating themselves from us, and making me MORE and MORE ready to move a thousand miles away from them. *sigh*

They also make Michael feel like shit about himself, which I am NOT okay with. He was so down last night. I mean, after what my dad said to him whenever he was trying to convince them that he loves me and is going to take care of me, then my mom bitching about him to me when she THINKS he doesn't know about it, then Richard being a fucking know-it-all and mom DEFENDING him and yelling at ME for "not listening to the voice of 'experience.'" Whatever dude.

Last night, you know what I did? I prayed. Michael was reading his "Structure of Singing" book and I was trying to fall asleep, wearing one of those Carrie Bradshaw-esque sleeping blinder mask thingies....and I prayed. Because I didn't know what else to do. My parents are being assholes, I'm busting my butt for the first time ever really, trying desperately to finish school and find a job across the country, trying to convince Michael that my family doesn't hate him....praying that something will work out for us, before we go. I'm still praying. And it's the first time in a loooong time that I didn't fall asleep in the middle of my prayer. Couldn't afford to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Girl, I know this sounds really retardo right now, but seriously, hang in there. Your parents are giving you a hard time because it is hard for them to deal with you leaving. My parents did the same exact thing to me. They would try to drown me with all of the details and unknowns because deep down, they didn't want their little girl to leave. Praying is good, patience is better, which you are already showing you have. And Michael is enemy #1 because he is taking you away from them. In the end, hopefully they will see that you are following your heart, and that's what matters.

Also, good for you for not drowning yourself in the pool at the "size 10" comment. That would have been the point where I would have tried to shove the aim-a-flame right up her ass.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home