Friday, May 20, 2005

The Wedding Singer(s)



This weekend Michael and I are going to another wedding. This time we have to go to the rehearsal dinner and everything because we are singing "The Prayer" at the wedding. The bride and groom are very good friends of mine that I went to High School with...actually went to school with them from first grade on! I'm extremely happy for them, but I wish they could have picked an easier song. You can listen to it here, but I'm sorry if the website is cheesy. The song was made popular by Andrea Boccelli and Celine Dion, but there's also a recording of Josh Groban and Charlotte "Gag Me" Church doing it. It's actually way harder than one might think, especially for the male singer. So, here's hoping we can pull it off for their wedding. Have I mentioned how much I HATE singing for people I know? Ugh.

On another note, I would like to make a social commentary on something. I think it's sick when people are raised to be truly happy when misfortune occurs to others. This schadenfreude may be funny in a musical about puppets with sex drives, but in real life it's really pretty messed up. I do believe in a sort of Karma, "What goes around comes around" type of thing, but to make it a point to do a Nelson Muntz "HA HA!" when people are truly experiencing something trying in their lives...wow. If I do that, I will apologize for it now, because when I see others do it, it's very humbling and upsetting. :(

Today is one of those Fridays when I'm TRULY glad it's Friday. I got to the bus stop at 8:15. At 8:45 I called mom to just come pick me up because I was damn sick of waiting on it. How annoying. Then I get to work and this whole stack of shit is on my desk for me to do, and I don't even know HOW to do some of it (I'm working on putting up the online calendar for UNT...here's one of my pages). Then I have to go make some copies and I had a total Office Space moment when the goddamn copy machine kept telling me to load plain paper into tray 2, which is CLEARLY FULL of plain white paper. Whatever dude.

THEN I get Queen John's column. Here are my favorites from today's issue:

"Good morning readers. Well this weekend I'm seeing the new STAR WARS movie. I hear that Debbie Reynolds is playing "Jar-Jar Bing" in the movie, so that should be fun! (insert rim shot)."

Um, I'm pretty sure it's Jar-Jar BINKS.

"I did laugh when they show those two old men in Bo's hotel room. I had no clue who they were. Thankfully the voice over said they were members of that band that sing "Sweet Home Alabama", Lynerd Skyner."

I'm sorry, did you mean Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Oh, and this is his disclaimer in every issue:

The editor/publisher of THE COLUMN has sole discretion as to what willor what will not be published within THE COLUMN. It is to hisdiscretion on what to edit, omit, delete, or simply not publish atall.

Notice the "atall." As an editor myself, I am grossly offended that he has the cajones to call himself one as well. Whatever.

Anyway...that just pisses me off. And from my limited correspondence with him via email, I can tell that he is NOT the sort of person who would accept or appreciate an offer to voluntarily edit and proofread his column for him. He's just get pissy and slap you with his ponytail. Why do I keep reading it, you ask? I dunno...same reason one can't stop looking at a car accident. Plus, I like to see what auditions are coming up. Call me a masochist if you must.

All for now...have to get some work done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home