I could have listened all night...

Last night at the concert

Last night Michael and I went to the Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth to see the Renée Fleming recital...I've had our tickets to this since January. We were 9 rows back, orchestra level, right on the aisle. I felt like I'd already gotten our money's worth when she just floated onto the stage in this pale pink, beaded dress and white chiffon wrap. It was surreal.
Some have been saying that she was "struggling" last night with "pitch problems.." but I didn't hear anything I didn't like. It was surreal...it was breathtaking.
She opened with a set of Handel pieces from her most recent recording, including her second piece, "O Sleep, why dost thou leave me?" from Semele. You know you are in the presence of an amazing performance when she finishes and you don't even realize that you have tears streaming down your face. WOW.
After the Handel set, she did a song cycle by Alban Berg, which Michael actually did on his senior recital, so that was pretty cool. After the Berg, she took an intermission. The second half of the program was truly unforgettable! She opened with this amazing piece by John Kander (of Chicago and Cabaret fame) that was a letter from a Civil War soldier to his wife. OH MY GOD. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. I would never even dare attempt that piece ever in my life! THEN she sang "Ain't it a pretty night?" from Susanna, which is another of my absolute favorites! She ended the printed part of the program with 8 unrelated pieces by Robert Schumann including Standchen and Mondnacht (another of my favorites).
She did 4 encores, including "O mio babbino caro," "I could have Danced All Night," "You'll Never Walk Alone," and an aria from the opera Adriana Levancouer. It was, overall, an amazing night.
I'm still not over it...

1 Comments:
No Stairway? Denied!
Post a Comment
<< Home