Wednesday, April 06, 2005

"Families are about love overcoming emotional torture" --Matt Groening

It's so true. Sometimes I can't wait to just pack up all my shit and move thousands of miles away from everyone, particularly the "matriarch" of the family. Boston sounds like a pretty good place right about now.

Maybe I should make a blog just about my mother. There are people who have themed blogs, why shouldn't I follow suit? Seriously, it may seem trivial or causes responses of , "Uh, who cares?" from those who do not know her. But when it's been going on (and I daresay getting worse) for 23 years, it starts to grate on you. It's like when someone lightly scratches your arm with their fingernails..it kinda has a tickly, tingly feeling at first, but after a while that shit starts to hurt. I will provide two (2) episodes that occured in the last 24 hours. They both require short explanations, so forgive me.

(1) American Idol Lunacy -- now, my mom and I have been watching (not together) from the beginning, and every Tuesday night when it's over she'll call me and we'll talk about who we liked and didn't like. Usually she is WAY different than I am in her opinions, but that's to be expected. However, from the beginning we have both really liked Anwar and Bo. I know this for a fact, because we talked about how well Anwar did earlier on "Moon River" and "What a Wonderful World." So last night we were talking about this or that and here are two things that stood out to me, and I'll put it in conversation form:

(a) Frecklehead: What'd you think tonight, mom?
Mom: Well I loved Bo, but I hated that song he sang ("Corner of the Sky" from Pippin..consequently one of my favorite songs ever from a musical).
Frecklehead: (incredulously) you DID?
Mom: Yes. I hated it when Michael sang it in Pippin and I hated it when Bo did it.
Frecklehead: Mom, Michael didn't sing that song. Nando did, he's the one who played Pippin.
Mom: No, Michael sang it.
Frecklehead: (after a moment of silence). Um, I'm pretty sure I know what Michael sang since I was IN THE SHOW. Nando sang it.
Mom: well whatever, I hate that song.

***at this point, I started slowly and methodically ripping my hair out***

(b) Frecklehead: Okay, well what did you think of everyone else?
Mom: Well I've always hated Anwar, but his song was decent this time.
Frecklehead: You did NOT "always hate Anwar", Mom.
Mom: Yes I did, he sucks, I've always hated him.
Frecklehead: Mom, seriously, you told me you loved him when he did "Moon River" and "What a Wonderful World"
Mom: NO, I thought he fucked those up, don't tell me who I like and don't like.
Frecklehead: Jesus, mom, you change your tune more often than the contestants do.
Mom: I don't want to talk to you anymore.

***OH MY EFFING GOD. I almost ran my car into a lamppost on purpose, just to end the insanity. I really think that her pills are only making her worse.****

(2) Crazy Views on Lasting Relationships -- This one is my fault, probably. I will never, ever fucking learn what to say and not say around this woman. I started sharing with her, like a freaking MORON, some of my recent insecurities involving Michael doing Cabaret and some of the younger girls who are apparently extremely flirtatious with him. Conversation went as follows:

Frecklehead: Yeah, it just bugs me. I know he won't leave me or anything, obviously, but I kinda just wanna kick those girls...just because I'm older and more mature.
Mom: Well you know Michael wouldn't cheat on you. Just keep doing what you're doing (going to the gym) and keep losing weight and looking good, and Michael will stay with you.
Frecklehead: (I was actually silent, but this is what my inner monologue was saying). Oh. So, in order for my relationship to last and to keep my man, I need to make sure I'm always skinny and pretty? Ah. Is that why your relationships are so healthy, mom? Hmm?

****later that night, when I repeated above story to Michael****

Frecklehead: can you believe she said that?
Michael: Well she's damn right, you gain one pound and I'm outta here, bitch.

LOL. (that was obviously sarcasm for those of you who didn't pick up on that...he was kidding)

*SIGH* At least she didn't talk to me much today. And she knows I'm irritated with her. I go in waves...I'm usually fine, but sometimes I just can't take it anymore.

No American Idol recap today, sorry...maybe I'll get to it tomorrow, post-results show. Today has been REALLY busy.

PS....

Let me just say one thing. I mentioned in an earlier blog that I'm tired of drama and being walked all over and/or being put in the middle of sticky situations. I usually try to stay out of it, but when name-calling (of a rather cruel nature, I might add) starts, I will not stand for it. So, if you want to call a friend of mine names, just because you're pissed at her, don't expect me to sit idly by and let it happen. You'd expect me to do the same for you. The End.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home