Wednesday, March 30, 2005

"I'm just doing my job." "Oh really? I seem to remember that phrase occuring more than once at the NUREMBURG TRIALS"

---quote courtesy of "V-the MiniSeries"

current mood: all riled up (and not in the good way)
current music: The Impossible Dream (how appropriate)

***WARNING: THIS BLOG WILL BE VERY LONG***

Why don't we reinstate Social Cleansing? If it didn't work for Hitler (the mass-murdering fuckhead, to quote Eddie Izzard) maybe it will work for us....
But only if we start on a smaller scale. According to the Pacific Northwest Medical Journal, obesity can be cured through sterility. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that Obesity was a disease that needed to be cured, and such an epidemic that the gene for Obesity should be extracted from our gene pools. Hm. Guess maybe I'm naive. OR JUST NOT CRAZY.

Doctors in California are providing free vasectomies for men diagnosed as clinically obese, so that they will not pass on this socially unacceptable gene to their offspring (god forbid). Here's a direct quote from the article:

And what of societal concerns? The medical community at large have long established that obesity has surpassed the levels of simple concern and has become an epidemic. Children born of obese parents inherit genes predisposed to physiology which supports obesity - thus, eliminating such a gene line from the overall pool would greatly benefit society in the long run.

WOW. Here's a link to the full article, should you wish to quell your curiosity:
http://pnmj.org/0032205_curing_obesity.asp
Just don't say I didn't warn you. It pisses me off because, while I am doing something about my weight, and getting more and more comfortable with ME, and who I AM, if a doctor proclaims me "clinically obese" then, for societal concerns, I should not be able to reproduce, lest I continue the "epidemic." You know it was a couple of skinny bastards who came up with this idea in the first place. I agree with Maribou Sue's hubby in his response, that as long as it's a voluntary process, there's not much I can really say...but when doctor's start having the "medical authority" to delegate this action, we might as well move on to people with Freckles, midgets, mentally handicapped, etc. people until we have the Aryan Race. HARUMPH.

Into the Woods...to KILL MYSELF
I went to see DCT's production of Into the Woods this past Friday while Michael was at rehearsal. Yup, the very same production that I was not cast in. Dont' let that cloud your reading of my opinion of the show, because I got the same opinions from unbiased parties who also saw the very same production.

What a SNOOZE-FEST. And apparently, that's a damn shame, because the show is supposed to be really funny in a sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek type of way. However in this production, it was way too intense from the opening scene, and that made the entire show quite arduous. Now, I have never seen the show performed live, I've only heard (and loved) the music from it. So, it is quite possible that I just don't like the show, or prefer it to others. However...I've heard from several people that I should NOT have had that reaction to a good performance of that show. Therefore...I can conclude that it truly was a less-than-mediocre performance.

The singers were fine, don't get me wrong. That's always the first thing I look for. However...once I'd established that the singers were everything from unoffensive to actually quite pleasant...I wanted more. It didnt' take long to decide that the music was good. But I wasn't sold on any of the performances. What a beating. I think the cast was entirely too young, as well...with a few exceptions. It almost (and I emphasize almost) makes me not want to audition for the Coppell production this summer. We'll see.

AMERICAN IDOL RECAP--THE 90's
First of all, what a shitty theme. I'm still waiting for a great theme, like Big Band Hits or Soundtrack Songs, or something a little more fun, and a little more narrowed down. Anyway, here are my reviews of the performances. Over all, very disappointing after the ass-kicking these contestants did last week. Some of my favorites have me biting my nails after last night because they just didn't really show up. *sigh*

1. Bo Bice--"Remedy" by the Black Crowes - Oh, my darling Bo. You broke my heart last night. You really are an amazing performer, and adorably dorky while not singing, but seriously...you have to be careful with this type of performance. Don't get me wrong, you kicked the shit out of the song...but it didn't allow anyone to hear your voice, and what you can really do. Fortunately, America loves you...so you're gonna be safe. Grade: B+

2. Jessica Sierra--"On the Side of Angels" by LeeAnn Rimes - I could kick your ass AND Carrie's for going right back into your Country comfort zone after such stellar performances in another genre last week. However, I'm not going to pick you apart like Queen John did and call you Snaggletooth or "Lisp Girl" because that is completely WRONG and UNOBJECTIVE. You sing so well, but watch those high notes. When you were talking beforehand, Michael said, "Yup, I can hear the nodes on her cords." Ouch. Lots of pitch issues. As much as it pains me... Grade: C

3. Anwar Robinson--"I Believe I Can Fly" by R Kelly - Wow, Anwar. You caused Randy Jackson to do two things unheard of on AI before now. 1) to say something intelligent and 2) to make the first ever comment about VOCAL pedagogy EVER. And I completely agreed with him. It's weak in the low/middle voice, and you can't always rely on the "money note" to save your butt. It's like listening to "Nessun Dorma" and listening only for the high Bb at the end, instead of reveling in the beauty of the inner-workings of the aria. I was disappointed, because you were so wonderful with "Moon River" and "What a Wonderful World." I still say you have one of the best voices AI has ever heard, though. Grade: C+

4. Nadia Turner--"I'm the Only One" by Melissa Etheridge - OUCH. Do you know what that sound is? The sound of my vocal cords sympathizing with what you're doing to yours. I will say that this performance was MILES above and beyond last week's catastrophe, and probably enough to buy you another week. I LOVE this freaking song, too, and I think it's much more in your forte of genres. However, every other word looked positively painful for you to sing, I could see it on your face that you were squeezing the hell out of them. I'm glad Randy heard what I heard and said that you're one of the weaker singers in the competition. You don't really deserve to go much further, with what you're doing. Grade: D+

5. Constantine Maroulis--"I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt - Did you hear that plopping sound? That was the sound of my jaw hitting the floor. HOLY SHIT. Best vocal performance of the night, by FAR. Your vocal training is evident when you sing songs like this. I don't care what any "music professional" in the pop music genre tells you, you've got a helluva set of pipes, and you're treating them the right way...so you'll be one of the few who actually has anything left in 10 years. WAY TO GO. Grade: A+++

6. Nikko Smith--"Can We Talk" by Tevin Campbell - I had just picked my jaw up off the carpet only to have it fall AGAIN. Again, Queen John must have been polishing his pedicured nails and not paying attention when you sang. You may not make it far, but only because talent like yours is already so popular in the music world, that there are many like you. HOWEVER, with that being said, you amazed me last night. You even amazed Michael. You showed just how much you deserved to be back on that stage. Way to go...that was an incredible performance! Grade: A+

7. Anthony Federov--"The Way You Look Tonight" by Elton John - *yawn* "Heard it!" I can't believe Queen John keeps giving you an A for your performances. You're so BORING. I like you, Anthony, I really do...you're a cutie pie with a really nice tenor voice. I even liked the way you rocked the ending a little bit and lost the glasses. But I just don't think it's that impressive. And I get worried that the scar on your neck is going to burst open if you keep trying to sing/scream the stratosphere notes. Grade: B-/C+

8. Carrie Underwood--"Independence Day" by Martina McBride - Besides the fact that I LOATHE this freaking song...you really are an amazing singer. Here's my problem, though...the high notes in this song were very close in range to the high notes in "Alone", which you sang last week. However, while those notes sounded open and pure, the ones in "Independence Day" were much tighter, simply because of the nature of the "beast" that is the country music genre. When you try to put a twang in your voice, it causes squeezing (see earlier Blog entry, titled "Don't Give up the long ball, Keith"). I love ya Carrie...but you really should've auditioned for "Nashville Star" if you wanted to be a country star. Still a great performance. Grade: A

9. Scott Savol--"One Last Cry" by Brian McKnight - ohhh..*SOB* Scotty...you were doing SO WELL, and last night was really, really bad. Please don't make Queen John right...you're much better than that performance showed last night, and unfortunately for you, you HAVE TO BE CONSISTENTLY GOOD if you want to stay in the competition. Just a bit of advice: stay away from the falsetto. Grade: D-

10. Vonzell Solomon--"I Have Nothing" by Whitney Houston - HOLY FREAKING SHIT!! That was the best I've EVER heard you sound! Clay and I were nervous when you started this song, because a million girls try to sing Whitney. Not only did you kick its ass, but you sang it in a HIGHER key than Whitney "Crack is Whack" Houston! You looked amazingly beautiful as well. Way to close out the show with a BANG! Grade: A+

Frecklehead's Top Three:
1. Vonzell Solomon
2. Constantine Maroulis
3. Carrie Underwood/Nikko Smith

Frecklehead's Bottom Three:
1. Anthony Federov
2. Scott Savol (*sob*)
3. Anwar Robinson/Nadia Turner

Who will get voted off: That's really tough. Based on last week, Nadia and Anthony better be praying...but Scott was really bad last night. I can't even make a prediction. *fingers crossed*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home