Go! Move to Canada! Good Riddance!
I have to say I'm a bit disgusted at the moment. And it's not the slightly mushy pear that I just ate, either.
I'm disgusted with this country. I'll be the first person to admit that politics have never been a very big part of my life. No matter who is in the White House, I have always found that my belief systems still are valid, my morals not compromised, and my country still one of the most properous in the world. I still get up and go to work every day, curse at traffic, pay way too much for a grande non-fat latte with 2 splendas and a shot of half-n-half, and earn a respectable living. I love who I love, and I know nothing will ever change that. I have my beliefs, and no matter who is in office, these will not be swayed. I will always think abortion is murder and that God doesn't recognize gay marriage. This does not mean I'm a "right-wing conservative" and therefore must be a "Dubya" follower and a redneck, war-supporting, closed-minded Republican that is obviously The Enemy in this country. I know enough to keep my mouth shut in most political discussions because I haven' t fully formed my opinions on the Big Three (war, gay marriage, and abortion). Example: I think abortion is murder, but I don't think it should be illegal. Example: I think gay marriage should be legal, but I know it is expressly stated in the Bible to be wrong in God's eyes. This does not mean all gay people are condemned to hell by any means. I'm of the "love one another" school of thought. Example: I hate experiencing a war in my generation but I am scared of terrorism, and I certainly don't want to go Over There, and guess what? The guys who join the Military are there because they chose that. George W. is not forcing anyone to do anything htat a bunch of Marines from Texas didn't already think about doing on September 11th.
When George W. was re-elected, I was happy, for several reasons. One, I think every president should serve two terms...I think it's necessary in order to get things done. Two, I usually vote Republican, unless I have serious issues with the candidate. Three, I had no problem with John Kerry as a person, just with the fact that he rode the fence in order to gain a bigger following. I never heard concrete statements on any big issues. Three, and the most selfish reason, he's a Believer in my God. People rant and rave, the liberal hippies on the UNT campus can rant and rave and shake their fists all they want, but I think it is immensely impressive that the Bush family is proudly proclaiming their faith. Church and State will never mix, but he has more integrity than any other politician for standing up there and trying, in the face of a wild assortment of adversities. I applaud him.
Now, back to why I'm disgusted. The reason for this whole political diatribe is because of a website I saw on a fellow blogger's post today: www.buyblue.org. Seriously, does it have to go this far? My mom's bosses refused to talk to her for 2 WEEKS after the election, and one claimed that she would move to Canada because of the atrocity of the re-election of George W. All I hear about in my Cold War Fiction class is anti-war/anti-Bush sentiments. These BuyBlue folks are trying to get people to aid their political fancies in their SHOPPING for crying out loud. You know what? If you're so miserable and so horrified, then GO. MOVE TO CANADA. And don't let the border patrol hit you on the rear on the way out.
Personally I think this country has to stand united under whoever is President. 98% of my friends and fellow bloggers are Anti-Bush, or at least Anti-Republican-Ideas, and yet they can realize that in just a mere 4 years, they can get a chance to vote again and maybe change things up. Until then, they are (mostly) over it. We know where we stand with each other, and this post is not an invitation for political discussion. It is simply a HUGE disappointment in the childlike actions of a lot of people in this country.
Call me naive if you must. United we stand, Divided we fall.
So take that, Michael Moore. ANd by the way, sorry about the Oscars, dude.
I'm disgusted with this country. I'll be the first person to admit that politics have never been a very big part of my life. No matter who is in the White House, I have always found that my belief systems still are valid, my morals not compromised, and my country still one of the most properous in the world. I still get up and go to work every day, curse at traffic, pay way too much for a grande non-fat latte with 2 splendas and a shot of half-n-half, and earn a respectable living. I love who I love, and I know nothing will ever change that. I have my beliefs, and no matter who is in office, these will not be swayed. I will always think abortion is murder and that God doesn't recognize gay marriage. This does not mean I'm a "right-wing conservative" and therefore must be a "Dubya" follower and a redneck, war-supporting, closed-minded Republican that is obviously The Enemy in this country. I know enough to keep my mouth shut in most political discussions because I haven' t fully formed my opinions on the Big Three (war, gay marriage, and abortion). Example: I think abortion is murder, but I don't think it should be illegal. Example: I think gay marriage should be legal, but I know it is expressly stated in the Bible to be wrong in God's eyes. This does not mean all gay people are condemned to hell by any means. I'm of the "love one another" school of thought. Example: I hate experiencing a war in my generation but I am scared of terrorism, and I certainly don't want to go Over There, and guess what? The guys who join the Military are there because they chose that. George W. is not forcing anyone to do anything htat a bunch of Marines from Texas didn't already think about doing on September 11th.
When George W. was re-elected, I was happy, for several reasons. One, I think every president should serve two terms...I think it's necessary in order to get things done. Two, I usually vote Republican, unless I have serious issues with the candidate. Three, I had no problem with John Kerry as a person, just with the fact that he rode the fence in order to gain a bigger following. I never heard concrete statements on any big issues. Three, and the most selfish reason, he's a Believer in my God. People rant and rave, the liberal hippies on the UNT campus can rant and rave and shake their fists all they want, but I think it is immensely impressive that the Bush family is proudly proclaiming their faith. Church and State will never mix, but he has more integrity than any other politician for standing up there and trying, in the face of a wild assortment of adversities. I applaud him.
Now, back to why I'm disgusted. The reason for this whole political diatribe is because of a website I saw on a fellow blogger's post today: www.buyblue.org. Seriously, does it have to go this far? My mom's bosses refused to talk to her for 2 WEEKS after the election, and one claimed that she would move to Canada because of the atrocity of the re-election of George W. All I hear about in my Cold War Fiction class is anti-war/anti-Bush sentiments. These BuyBlue folks are trying to get people to aid their political fancies in their SHOPPING for crying out loud. You know what? If you're so miserable and so horrified, then GO. MOVE TO CANADA. And don't let the border patrol hit you on the rear on the way out.
Personally I think this country has to stand united under whoever is President. 98% of my friends and fellow bloggers are Anti-Bush, or at least Anti-Republican-Ideas, and yet they can realize that in just a mere 4 years, they can get a chance to vote again and maybe change things up. Until then, they are (mostly) over it. We know where we stand with each other, and this post is not an invitation for political discussion. It is simply a HUGE disappointment in the childlike actions of a lot of people in this country.
Call me naive if you must. United we stand, Divided we fall.
So take that, Michael Moore. ANd by the way, sorry about the Oscars, dude.

2 Comments:
I know we differ on several issues, but I have to agree that Im sick of people complaining about how horrible the country will be these next four years. We elected Nixon twice, did our day to day lives change so much? Who cares? One may note, however, that listening to people in college (read: not you, people who are all about activism in college)will not always lead you to the smartest conclusions.
Good rant. I just wanted you to know why I included the "buy blue" blog. It wasn't so you or I could "buy blue." It was in response to finding out that the gym I just joined not only gave money to the pro-life (anti-choice) movement but started entirely to give the profits to pro-life organizations. I had to come to some conclusions as to how I could join a business that I had not researched. And then someone provided me with that www.buyblue.com website, and I realized, "Do any of us know where our money is going?" It was not meant to send people to one business or the other because of its political affiliations. It was written to wake us all up to the fact that our money, whether it's in the form of nonfat lattes (with 2 Splendas) or my love of Taco Bell and Hershey's, often supports political causes that we don't support. It was just meant to wake us up.
Oh, as for gay marriages, take a look at what the Bible says about slavery. It supported the owning and using of humans at one time, and we had to learn that it was written at a certain time and those theories no longer carry weight. I would think that we have changed our thinking since the Civil War on that issue.
I would never ever consider moving to Canada. I love this country with my whole heart and will go to my grave loving it. I'm very passionate about voting and having my say and doing my homework (which I will do before joining another health club). But I hope we can still meet at Taco Bell for a burrito!
Post a Comment
<< Home