A New York State of Mind
Last night I actually felt like I was in New York City, only to leave the restaurant and be reminded that, alas, I was still in Grapevine, Texas.
Michael and I went to dinner at P.F. Chang's to celebrate our two-year anniversary...and apparently a two-year wait out the door once we got there. No, it was only 45 minutes to an hour, but the bar was packed, too. Not to fear, we squeezed our way through the throngs of people to the bar and finally found at least one seat, and Michael gave it to me, being the gentleman that he is. I asked the man next to me if it was okay if I sat there, and he was very nice about it but told me, in a thick Scottish brogue, to watch out for the "wanker" bartender. Keep in mind, this man is very attractive. I laughed, and he proceeded to give me and Michael a quick quiz on what our knowledge was on dirty Scottish slang. Thank goodness, I didn't know very much.
Our drinks came (a "Poolside" for me, and a bourbon and coke for the honey), and the Scotsman started asking us what we did, which led to a very entertaining discussion about music and golf. He had played for the PGA tour once, and was quite impressed to find that I knew that the Scottish invented golf (thank you, Robin Williams). He asked us about certain classical singers, and he and Michael got into a discussion about who is a sell-out and who is a good singer. Exactly 30 minutes later, our little buzzer went off, letting us know our table was ready. We both shook hands with the stranger, who introduced himself as (no kidding) Robert MacMillan. Of course...the most scottish name I could think of. Well, actually, Angus MacMillian is the most scottish name I could think of, but it was still great.
We were led to our table by a snobby little hostess with a Burberry scarf on, and we managed to procure the most wonderful waiter we have ever had. His name was Cornell (I'm telling you all this so that you can request him next time you go to this particular PF Changs) and he was Russian or something. He called me "madam," which I much prefer over "ma'am." He knew his stuff, too. Michael had orange peel chicken, and I had mu shu chicken, and we both started with the lettuce wraps (YUM!). This waiter knew exactly when to come to the table and when to leave us alone. The E3 Writer would have totally appreciated this!!
So, cold night + dark, bustling, expensive restaurant + international bar conversation + excellent, if not a little pretentious waitstaff = feeling like you're in NYC. We had a great time, and it was a happy way to spend our 2nd anniversary. :)
Michael and I went to dinner at P.F. Chang's to celebrate our two-year anniversary...and apparently a two-year wait out the door once we got there. No, it was only 45 minutes to an hour, but the bar was packed, too. Not to fear, we squeezed our way through the throngs of people to the bar and finally found at least one seat, and Michael gave it to me, being the gentleman that he is. I asked the man next to me if it was okay if I sat there, and he was very nice about it but told me, in a thick Scottish brogue, to watch out for the "wanker" bartender. Keep in mind, this man is very attractive. I laughed, and he proceeded to give me and Michael a quick quiz on what our knowledge was on dirty Scottish slang. Thank goodness, I didn't know very much.
Our drinks came (a "Poolside" for me, and a bourbon and coke for the honey), and the Scotsman started asking us what we did, which led to a very entertaining discussion about music and golf. He had played for the PGA tour once, and was quite impressed to find that I knew that the Scottish invented golf (thank you, Robin Williams). He asked us about certain classical singers, and he and Michael got into a discussion about who is a sell-out and who is a good singer. Exactly 30 minutes later, our little buzzer went off, letting us know our table was ready. We both shook hands with the stranger, who introduced himself as (no kidding) Robert MacMillan. Of course...the most scottish name I could think of. Well, actually, Angus MacMillian is the most scottish name I could think of, but it was still great.
We were led to our table by a snobby little hostess with a Burberry scarf on, and we managed to procure the most wonderful waiter we have ever had. His name was Cornell (I'm telling you all this so that you can request him next time you go to this particular PF Changs) and he was Russian or something. He called me "madam," which I much prefer over "ma'am." He knew his stuff, too. Michael had orange peel chicken, and I had mu shu chicken, and we both started with the lettuce wraps (YUM!). This waiter knew exactly when to come to the table and when to leave us alone. The E3 Writer would have totally appreciated this!!
So, cold night + dark, bustling, expensive restaurant + international bar conversation + excellent, if not a little pretentious waitstaff = feeling like you're in NYC. We had a great time, and it was a happy way to spend our 2nd anniversary. :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home