Thursday, December 09, 2004

Phantom of the Crappera*

(*title stolen from http://chrisisanut.blogspot.com only because he put it into words PERFECTLY)

I just watched the trailer at Yahoo! Movies for the new Phantom of the Opera movie. What a piece of shit that looks like. I'm sorry, Mr. Shumacher, but your stunning visual effects do not hide or mask (pun intended) the crappy-ass, mediocre singing. WHY can't they just hire real singers??? Seriously! Why are people like and Babs and CatPants and Michael even TRYING if they are just going to put pretty people with shitty voices in musicals?! Jesus Christ, they have part of "Music of the Night" on the preview, and it's awful! And I thought Michael Crawford was bad! I mean, I know Andrew Lloyd Webber puts out some crap, but with good singers it CAN actually sound good! Case in point: Placido Domingo and Rebecca Luker singing "All I Ask of You" is gorgeous. Sarah Brightman and whatshisname on the CD? Lukewarm....at best. Now this movie?? *sigh*

I actually thought the movie industry was going on a good thing when they did Chicago, because Catherine Zeta-Jones did a phenomenal job (she also started out in theater, not movies), and Renee even held her own as Roxie. However, music like Chicago, Cabaret, and the like do not require classically trained voices. Phantom of the Opera does. It's a more classical style. Trust me, when the soprano has to sing and vocalize to a high C (and higher in parts of the show) you can't fake your way through that shit!

Rant over. For now.


1 Comments:

Blogger Sassy said...

I didn't know you read my blog!! Thanks!!

Yeah about Rent....I looked it up on Yahoo Movies, and almost threw up a little in my mouth when I saw that people like Justin Timberlake and Neil Patrick Harris (from Doogie Howser), not to mention Marc Anthony auditioned. Audra McDonald did, too, but she's too sugary for Rent. They should just use the ORIGINALS. It'll have to be VERY impressive for me to go see it. Maybe we should all go and sit on the aisle for quick exits if it sucks. :)

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home