Monday, November 29, 2004

'Tis the season to be sniffly...

Ugh. I have been popping the Allegra pills like little Pez candies this weekend. Make the snot go a way, please! Gross...but i always get like this around December...right around the time I need to be studying for finals and getting hired for Christmas singing gigs. :) Onto my Monday ramblings....

Egg-wooden pin or block built into masonry.
You must be saying, "What the hell??" Seriously, though. I looked up "nog" today because I really wondered what exactly made eggnog. What is a nog? Well according to www.dictionary.com, a "nog" is a wooden pin or a wooden block built into masonry to hold nails that support joinery structures. Uhhh....okay. I'm gonna need a little more rum in my egg-wooden pin, please.

Church....I really should go more often
I had the wonderful opportunity to sub for a girl that goes to UNT at the church where she is paid to sing, Lovers Lane United Methodist in Dallas. I was a little nervous, because I kinda have to learn really fast the way that certain churches have their worship services....when to stand, when to sit down, the fact that the rest of the church/choir has this version of "Gloria patri" memorized, so I have to scramble to find it in the hymnal...But it was fun. It was a very nice church, the exact kind I'd like to get married in (except this one didn't have a center aisle thanks to three sections of pews instead of two).

This particular church has a very large Deaf ministry, and it is so cool to me to watch the interpreters down in front of the first row. Sign language has always really appealed to me, I think it is so beautiful to watch. I got huge tears in my eyes post-communion while the entire choir and congregation sang together the simple chorus, "Alleluia...alleluia" and I watched the Deaf parishioners in the first four or five rows raise their arms in worship in the American Sign Language sign for "Alleluia, God be Praised." Wow. The coolest thing happened, too. After each "alleluia," we kept hearing this clapping sound. I craned my neck around the big hair of the sopranos in front of me in the upper gallery and saw that it was one of the Deaf women in the congregation. My eyes filled up with tears when I realized that not only was she adding to her worship experience, but she was completely in rhythm. She couldn't hear the music with her ears, but in her soul she was right on the beat. Quite a humbling experience. What do I really have to complain about? I take for granted the fact that I am so lucky and privileged to be able to hear the opening chords of the Haydn "Benedictus" and the chorus of bells in the belfry. Sometimes we all need a little reality check.

Christmastime is Here!
And you can tell by the typical Texas Christmas weather we are currently enjoying: cold and rainy. It's the closest we get to actual snow, except for those freak-ice storms that sometimes blow in around February or March. I am definitely getting into the Christmas spirit, though. On Saturday night Michael and I put up our meager Christmas decorations, including our little 1 1/2 foot Christmas tree that has just little bit of shiny tinsel on it. It reminds me of the tree in the Charlie Brown Christmas (my FAVORITE Christmas show ever, by the way). I love to hear sweet little Linus's voice as he says "For unto you this day is born a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." Did you ever see the Saturday Night Live cartoon by Robert Smigel that had Jesus walking around on Christmas Eve? He was so sad because all He saw was commercialism and exploitation of Christmas. Jesus is walking down the streets, hands in the pocket of His robe, when he stops outside an electronics store. On all the televisions in the display case, there is little Linus, saying the true meaning of Christmas. Jesus smiles, gets tears in his eyes, and starts doing the Peanuts dance to the Charlie Brown theme music. LOL. Slightly sacrelegious, but true and poignant at the same time.

Anway, along with eggnog (or egg-wooden pin) and hot cocoa, we laughed and joked as we put up the decorations. Michael surprised me at one point by taking me by the hand and doing a silly little made-up dance with me to Gene Autry's "Here Comes Santa Claus" on the radio, which of course had me rolling by the end. I love that man!

I love Christmas music so much. My favorite Christmas song is "O Come, o come Emmanuel," followed closely by "O Holy Night." So beautiful. I love Christmas!

Apple, Hazel, and Phinnaeus??
I don't get celebrities these days. The big thing to do that all the "cool" people are doing lately seems to be getting pregnant. It seems like every time we turn around, another gorgeous little starlet is pregnant and all-smiles. These women, who make more money than God and are going to be able to provide anything they want for their children and their children's children, somehow manage to pick the most absurd names for these little heirs and heiresses. Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin named their baby APPLE for crying out loud. I just read that Julia Roberts just gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl, with husband Danny Moder. She named them Hazel Patricia and Phinnaeus Walter. Oh_my_god. What a cruel mother! *sob*

Hey, Big Spender!
I just got a Column in my email inbox for the first time in weeks, which I just realized I have sorely missed. I need my Broadway/Hollywood buzz fix three times a week! It contained sad news this time, though. Cy Coleman, most known for the music of Sweet Charity and City of Angels has passed away. Another Broadway legend....we'll miss him.

Babs Chocolate-Czech
Babs came over last night to spend the evening with me and my wonderful hubby, and I must say to Babs that she is definitely the best company ever! We had an awesome time, despite my overly-spicy spaghetti sauce and burnt breadsticks! We watched some Friends' episodes and A Mighty Wind, both provided by Babs, and then enjoyed the never-ending game of UNO. I had a great time, kiddo, and we need to do it again, soon!

That's all for now....I'm sure your retinas are burning by now. PS...check out some of Babs' beautiful ramblings from her trip at http://lesstraveledby.blogspot.com and read CatPants' awesome blurb about coffee and it's rite-of-passage in her own life at http://roninpants.blogspot.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home