Friday, November 05, 2004

Hey who needs morals? NOT THE USA for damn sure!

Because apparently, all that matters to some people is that their gay friends are allowed to legally get married in this country.

Allow me to explain myself.

I was having a conversation with Pothead the other day (my manager...see WAY earlier blogs) about the election. Actually, I wasn't having the conversation. I was sitting at my computer at work, playing Minesweeper and hoping that she couldn't actually see the smoke coming out of my ears. She was having the conversation with the other manager that was there, we'll call her Theory because she's a music theory master's student. Anyway, Theory asks Pothead what she thinks about the election. Now, Theory is a Christian lady, and she and Pothead are very good friends (which I find very interesting, considering Theory goes to Denton Bible Church). She should KNOW what Pothead is going to say. Pothead sighs, loudly, and says "Whatever. I'm fuckin pissed. My friend so-and-so (who apparently is a lesbian) just started bawling and said 'I'm never going to get married.'" and then she launches into this complete tyrade about George W Bush.

Her main gripe was that, even though Kerry was against gay marriage, he was for these "holy unions" that would give gay couples the tax breaks and government help that hetero married couples get. Now, let me explain how I feel about this. I have a lot of gay friends. I'm in the theatre business, for crying out loud. I love them ALL. There is not one of them that I don't wish the ultimate happiness and love that they are entitled to as human beings. However, I do not think that should be their reason for getting married (the tax breaks and such). It's not that I think they are not entitled to these financial benefits because of their sexual orientation, because I do think that everyone is entitled to those rights/privileges. But if that's why people are getting all riled up, I think their priority in their relationship might be a little off.

Let's look at it in heterosexual relationships. If Michael and I were, by some new law, forbidden to get married for some reason, it really wouldn't matter. We could have a private "ceremony" of commitment and love that, in our eyes and in the eyes of our closest friends and family, would seal our union and our love. Just because there isn't a piece of paper signed by someone "important" doesn't mean that our commitment isn't valid. We're doing fine right now, financially, and those tax breaks wouldn't help us out so much that our lives would drastically change. Maybe there are situations where people's lives would change, but if the relationship of two people is the issue at hand, then put love and commitment as your first priority. Who cares if some good ole' boy from Texas doesn't think you should legally get married? I know it sucks. It sucks hard. But don't let that come between your love for each other.

Again, I'm not exactly siding with Bush on his legislation on gay marriage, but I think Pothead was going off on a rampage about something she really didn't know much about. Also, she said the most asinine thing I've ever heard when she said "People in this country used to vote for candidates based on how they'd help the economy and now it's all about their morals. Why the fuck should we vote on moral issues when voting for a president? That shit's not important."

OH MY GOD.

That's when I asked, politely, "Can we please change the subject?" Both Pothead and Theory looked at me, surprised, and Pothead, already all riled up, said, "Why should we?" My answer was , "One, because we're at work and this isn't office-appropriate conversation. Two, you're both talking quite loudly and I can't hear customers on the phone, and, Three, you're offending me." I pissed them both off when I said that. But I think I have just as much of a right to ask them to not talk about such sensitive issues loudly and so opinionated-ly in the workplace.

I think, while the economic issues of this country are hella important, so are the moral issues. That's what's always in the news anyway, for crying out loud. What should we do about Saddam Hussein now that we have him? What should we do about the bombing of the abortion clinics? Why are more kids proclaiming abstinence? Oh, and in other news, the national defecit is 3 kazillion dollars. It's ALL important. To say that one is "shit" and that we shouldn't vote on those issues is an uneducated, arrogant, and most of all STUPID ASS thing to say. And this woman is my superior. Whatever dude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home