Feeling fat in the 80's
Okay I have a lot on my mind today, so bear with me. I'll try to make bold headings so you can only read the things that interest you.
Why are the 80's coming back??
Seriously! I was in Old Navy last night, and it was probably the most stressful shopping trip I have taken in a long time! First of all, the entire store was in disarray and it looked like shit. I guess they're just getting all their winter stuff in and just haphazardly throwing it on the shelves. Some of it is really pretty, but it's hard to want to buy it when you can't even find your size buried in the mounds of clothing. It felt like being in an outlet store! I spent 20 minutes looking for my size in jeans. Which brings me to my next point: I think there should be in between or half-sizes in jeans just like there are in bras now. I used to always always wear a size 12 in Old Navy pants. But they were a little too tight, so I picked up the 14. They fit in the butt and thighs, so I bought them. However, the waist is HUGE. When I was walking to class this morning I started feeling chilly air on my buttcrack because the pants kept falling down. *sigh* So I spent the rest of the morning trying not to step on the backs of them so I can return them tomorrow. It's not worth it. See the Big Girl Fashion Police blog for more info on low-rise bootcut jeans and why they suck:
http://bgfp4all.blogspot.com
So anyway, I don't know what to do about jeans now. A 12 is way too tight, but a 14 is too big. GRRR! Anyway, the 80's thing. I let it pass when Old Navy started getting clothes that looked like they were from the 60s, and even when I started seeing the disco-inspired 70s look coming back. But I thought, "Surely they won't bring back the 80s." I found myself surrounded by bright colored, off-the-shoulder sweaters and sparkly leg-warmers. GAG ME. It's even worse than the actual 80s stuff because it's made to look completely retro, so it's ugly AND over-the-top. Ugh.
I do like all the holiday stuff that's coming out, though. It's all shiny and/or very soft and fuzzy. Very glamorous, and perfect for holiday christmas parties!
The Election
I actually watched most of the election coverage last night and this morning, and I have to say I find it highly amusing to see that they've almost made it like sports coverage. There's a constant ticker down at the bottom of the screen, there's theme music every time they go to or come back from commercial...it's like watching the NFL playoffs!
I am glad that George W won again. I just think a president should serve 2 terms. 4 years isn't enough to get stuff done, especially in the middle of a war on terror. This isn't to say that it won't still be going on in 2008, but I think we're just at a pretty crucial point in the nation, and I'm glad Bush is still in office.
However. I really like John Kerry. Yeah, he's a little bit boring, and not a very good people-person, but I have nothing huge against his policies. I hope he runs again in 2008. I actually agreed with a lot of things he had to say during his campaign.
The thing that pisses me off is when, at school, someone would ask me who I voted for or who I was planning to vote for, and I'd tell them. Then they would launch into this assault on GW and tell me why Kerry was so much better. I know now why my parents would never tell anyone who they voted for. And what is the most irritating is that I think most of the people at this university just wanted GW to NOT win. I bet if I asked most of them what Kerry's view on a subject matter was, they wouldn't know. Damn liberals. :) I mean, I'm liberal to an extent, but I'm not going to force my conservative views on say, abortion, on anyone who tells me they're voting for Kerry. Geez.
Blogs
I think I've decided why I enjoy reading my friends' blogs so much. I love people, and I love communicating...I love to talk to people and get to know them really well inside and out, and to listen to what they have to say. I was reading Lestat's blog the other day (and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know I exist or that I read his blog) and I was moved to tears at some points because he is just so honest and open with his feelings. What a deep, spiritual person he must be! I'd like to get to know him better.
I've already mentioned why I love Babs' blog. Derbykat is my very best friend, and she should write in hers more often. I guess those will slow down since she isn't working at the hell job anymore. :) Maribou Sue....god I love her live journal. She is so honest and candid about everything she says, I just laugh my ass off. I miss my girls and all of our daily emails!
I love this whole blog thing. It really is a great release, and it allows me to get to know my friends better. Please, friends, do not stop blogging! :)
Why are the 80's coming back??
Seriously! I was in Old Navy last night, and it was probably the most stressful shopping trip I have taken in a long time! First of all, the entire store was in disarray and it looked like shit. I guess they're just getting all their winter stuff in and just haphazardly throwing it on the shelves. Some of it is really pretty, but it's hard to want to buy it when you can't even find your size buried in the mounds of clothing. It felt like being in an outlet store! I spent 20 minutes looking for my size in jeans. Which brings me to my next point: I think there should be in between or half-sizes in jeans just like there are in bras now. I used to always always wear a size 12 in Old Navy pants. But they were a little too tight, so I picked up the 14. They fit in the butt and thighs, so I bought them. However, the waist is HUGE. When I was walking to class this morning I started feeling chilly air on my buttcrack because the pants kept falling down. *sigh* So I spent the rest of the morning trying not to step on the backs of them so I can return them tomorrow. It's not worth it. See the Big Girl Fashion Police blog for more info on low-rise bootcut jeans and why they suck:
http://bgfp4all.blogspot.com
So anyway, I don't know what to do about jeans now. A 12 is way too tight, but a 14 is too big. GRRR! Anyway, the 80's thing. I let it pass when Old Navy started getting clothes that looked like they were from the 60s, and even when I started seeing the disco-inspired 70s look coming back. But I thought, "Surely they won't bring back the 80s." I found myself surrounded by bright colored, off-the-shoulder sweaters and sparkly leg-warmers. GAG ME. It's even worse than the actual 80s stuff because it's made to look completely retro, so it's ugly AND over-the-top. Ugh.
I do like all the holiday stuff that's coming out, though. It's all shiny and/or very soft and fuzzy. Very glamorous, and perfect for holiday christmas parties!
The Election
I actually watched most of the election coverage last night and this morning, and I have to say I find it highly amusing to see that they've almost made it like sports coverage. There's a constant ticker down at the bottom of the screen, there's theme music every time they go to or come back from commercial...it's like watching the NFL playoffs!
I am glad that George W won again. I just think a president should serve 2 terms. 4 years isn't enough to get stuff done, especially in the middle of a war on terror. This isn't to say that it won't still be going on in 2008, but I think we're just at a pretty crucial point in the nation, and I'm glad Bush is still in office.
However. I really like John Kerry. Yeah, he's a little bit boring, and not a very good people-person, but I have nothing huge against his policies. I hope he runs again in 2008. I actually agreed with a lot of things he had to say during his campaign.
The thing that pisses me off is when, at school, someone would ask me who I voted for or who I was planning to vote for, and I'd tell them. Then they would launch into this assault on GW and tell me why Kerry was so much better. I know now why my parents would never tell anyone who they voted for. And what is the most irritating is that I think most of the people at this university just wanted GW to NOT win. I bet if I asked most of them what Kerry's view on a subject matter was, they wouldn't know. Damn liberals. :) I mean, I'm liberal to an extent, but I'm not going to force my conservative views on say, abortion, on anyone who tells me they're voting for Kerry. Geez.
Blogs
I think I've decided why I enjoy reading my friends' blogs so much. I love people, and I love communicating...I love to talk to people and get to know them really well inside and out, and to listen to what they have to say. I was reading Lestat's blog the other day (and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know I exist or that I read his blog) and I was moved to tears at some points because he is just so honest and open with his feelings. What a deep, spiritual person he must be! I'd like to get to know him better.
I've already mentioned why I love Babs' blog. Derbykat is my very best friend, and she should write in hers more often. I guess those will slow down since she isn't working at the hell job anymore. :) Maribou Sue....god I love her live journal. She is so honest and candid about everything she says, I just laugh my ass off. I miss my girls and all of our daily emails!
I love this whole blog thing. It really is a great release, and it allows me to get to know my friends better. Please, friends, do not stop blogging! :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home